The main objective of LIFE URBANGREEN is to optimize and demonstrate, in real-life, an innovative technological platform to monitor ecosystem services of urban green areas and to improve their management.
During the project the existing management platform GreenSpaces (formerly R3 TREES) will be integrated with 5 innovative management components, aimed at:
- optimising water consumption in order to maximise ecosystem services,
- reducing the carbon footprint of maintenance activities through a more efficient job planning,
- quantifying ecosystem services provided by green areas,
- monitoring health conditions of trees using remote sensing data,
- increasing citizen participation in urban green management.
The main expected result is a smart and integrated management system, which monitors and governs all activities related to urban green areas, maximizing ecological benefits.
The integrated platform will be tested in Rimini (Italy) and Kraków (Poland), which have been chosen as reference cities for warm temperate and continental climate.
The city of Taipei will replicate project activities in a pilot site in Taiwan at its own cost. The test in different climate zones will ensure a good transferability of project actions in countries having similar environmental and climatic conditions.
- reduction of GHG gas emissions – reducing vehicle movements thanks to a more efficient maintenance job planning,
- reduction of air pollution – thanks to healthy trees, sequestrating more pollutants,
- increased carbon sequestration – by urban trees managed with innovative practices compared to trees poorly maintained,
- air temperature cooling – in areas managed with innovative practices compared to areas managed in a traditional way.
With the contribution of the LIFE Programme of the European Union LIFE17 CCA/IT/000079.